FAQ And Rules
Preferred pricing (PP) refers to all of our adult and junior clinics. Clinics are typically $25 per hour. However, when one registers 24 hours in advance one receives the preferred pricing of only $20 per hour, a 25% savings..
Anyone can participate in our programs, specifically lessons, clinics, camps, tournaments, round robins, and most events. Certain special events, such as our Homeowner Kick-off are reserved for Homeowners only.
Unfortunately, if you are not a homeowner of Sea Colony or a renter with a valid guest badge in Sea Colony, you are not able to reserve court time.
Tennis camps may be tailored to the group; however, we do have a general plan of technique and video analysis on Day 1, court positioning and strategy on Day 2, followed by more strategy and attacking drills on Day 3.
Cardio tennis is for all levels and consists of four basic segments, including a warm-up, cardio workout, fast-paced game, and a cool down segment. All segments consist of hitting tennis balls in movement situations resulting in a fun, yet intensive workout.
We have a game-finding service available for our Homeowners, Winter Members, and Resort Guests. With 48 hour notice, we guarantee we can find you a singles game. If not, we will arrange for a free hour on our state-of the-art ball machine.
The phone number for the Freeman Fitness Center is 302-539-4511.
Tennis Rules and Regulations
Updated December 5, 2017
1. Tennis courts are for exclusive use of Sea Colony Homeowners, guests of homeowners and renters of Sea Colony. A valid Sea Colony Homeowner’s ID or guest badge is required.
2. Any person misusing courts, disturbing play or improperly attired may be asked to leave Sea Colony courts by tennis staff or security.
3. All homeowner’s guests must be accompanied by the homeowner to use facility.
4. A grace period of ten minutes is given for reserved courts. After ten minutes, the reservation is lost. The court may be claimed on a first come, first serve basis after ten minutes to proper Sea Colony homeowner or renter.
5. The pro-shop “official clock” will be used to regulate playing time.
6. Courts 1-6 are indoor courts. Appropriate teaching courts will be blocked off as required. In Season, court reservations will be available 7 am – 9 pm on remaining courts
7. Courts 7-12 are outdoor teaching courts. These courts are not allowed to be reserved, but may be played on by Sea Colony Homeowners and Renters when not being used by the Sea Colony teaching staff. The court must be relinquished for teaching when necessary.
8. Courts 13-16 are hard courts located on Woodland Court. They are open at 8 am through dusk for reservations
9. Courts 17-30 are har-tru courts. They open at 8 am and close from 1-3 pm for watering and maintenance. Courts close at dusk except those with lighting which close at 10pm.
10. Courts 31-34 are hard courts located on the Oceanside. They are open from 8 am-9 pm for reservations.
11. Any courts may be used for USTA Adult and Junior tournaments or other scheduled tournaments at the discretion of the Director of Tennis with the consent of the tennis committee.
12. Tennis staff may close any court necessary due to inclement weather or unsafe playing conditions.
13. Homeowners and Renters can use their court reservations to take private lessons.
14. Proper tennis attire is required. Tennis shoes or non-marking soled shoes; no running shoes. No bathing suits or jeans allowed. Shirts must be worn at all times. No pets allowed on the courts or in the pro-shop. No skateboards, skates, rollerblades, etc. are allowed on any tennis courts.
15. On court teaching, coaching, clinics or other related activities on the Sea Colony tennis courts is prohibited unless the activity is sanctioned as part of the Sea Colony Tennis teaching program or approved Sea Colony event or otherwise approved by the Director of Tennis or his/her designee. The definition of on court teaching, coaching, clinics or related activities shall be at the sole discretion of the Director of Tennis or Head Pro.
16. Unless sanctioned as part of the Sea Colony Tennis teaching program or approved Sea Colony event, all court usage is limited to a maximum of 4 people on the court.
17. When a homeowner borrows a basket of balls with the approval of the Director of Tennis or his/her designee or when a homeowner or winter member bring their own basket of balls, there can be a maximum of two people on the side of the net receiving feeds by a single feeder.
Use of Tennis Program Equipment by Homeowners Borrowing Sea Colony tennis equipment including balls is limited to homeowners. Each use by a homeowner must be approved by the Director of Tennis or his/her designee. All equipment must be returned to its original location after each use in the same condition in which it was received.
Homeowner Court Reservations Homeowners may call the Homeowner Reservations phone number to reserve court time. Homeowners may reserve courts up to 2 ½ days in advance by calling the Homeowner reservations phone number starting at 12:30 pm. The call schedule is as follows:
• Monday for Thursday
• Tuesday for Friday
• Wednesday for Saturday
• Thursday for Sunday
• Friday for Monday
• Saturday for Tuesday
• Sunday for Wednesday A Homeowner may reserve 2 courts for 2 hours with 4 homeowner units. Additional court time needed will have to be made by an additional Homeowner.
Homeowners may not call on the Pro-Shop main number to reserve court time. If a Homeowner does not have the Homeowner Reservations phone number, they can obtain it in person at the Pro-Shop by showing their Homeowner’s badge. Homeowners may come in person to the pro-shop with their homeowner badges to reserve court time. Court time will be given on a first come/first serve basis by rotating between homeowner’s in person in the pro-shop and homeowner’s calling in on the homeowner reservation phone number.
Renter Court Reservations Sea Colony renters are permitted to reserve one court per unit, per day. Renters must come in person with their Guest Badge (make sure it is the proper week’s Guest Badge) to the pro-shop to reserve court time. Reservations will be taken while the pro-shop is open, 8:30 am-6 pm. Reservations are for 1 hour.
Summer and Winter Tennis Memberships
Memberships to play tennis are required on a year round basis (summer, winter or both), for non-Sea Colony owners who are local domiciled residents (which means: lives year round or seasonally, or rents seasonally, or owns a residence in Sussex County, Worcester County or Wicomico County) to play tennis at Sea Colony. Owner provided guest passes may not be used. Memberships are offered each season at a price determined by the Director of Tennis and the Tennis Committee. The Summer Membership starts May 1st and continues through September 30th. The Winter Membership season begins October 1st and continues until April 30th.
1. Summer Membership 2017 prices are $150 per season for Individual and $200 per season for Family. The Winter Membership Pricing for 2017-2018 is $200 per season for Individual and $300 per season for Family.
2. In addition to the membership fee, each member shall pay $10 per play or be on the “all you can play plan”, Either plan requires pro shop check in for each play and the per play fee if applicable must be paid before going out to the court. Juniors shall pay $10 per play year round and no membership is required.
3. Locals may pay $15 to play up to 4 times before paying the membership fee. The fee can be credited to the membership fee.
4. For the avid Winter player, a $900 “all you can play” option is available per member. The $200 individual or $300 family membership fee is required in addition to the all you can play option. 5. For the avid Summer player, a $500 “all you can play” option is available per member. The $150 individual or $200 family membership fee is required in addition to the all you can play option.
Memberships will not be prorated or transferable under any circumstances. Members will be provided a unique identifying badge, which must be presented when requested.
Winter Block Times
Indoor Winter Block time begins the day after Columbus Day and continues through the 3rd week in April. Block time is not available during the following holidays:
• Thanksgiving – starting the Wednesday before, continuing through the Sunday after.
• Christmas/New Years – starting 2 days before Christmas and continuing through New Year’s Day.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day
• President’s Day
• Easter/Spring Break – Starts the Monday before Easter and continues for 2 weeks.
Additional Outdoor Blocked Dates:
• Henlopen Conference Championships – 2nd Thursday in May
• ResortQuest Pro Women's Open June
• Other Dates as Tennis Committee or Director of Tennis deem necessary.
Winter Block Time and Winter Membership Rules
1. Block times are grandfathered in year to year.
2. Block times are 1 ½ hours long.
3. 2 Individual Members are needed for 1 block time spot.
4. 1 Family Membership is needed for 1 block time spot.
5. 1 Homeowner unit is needed for 1 block time spot.
6. Open block times will be given on a first come, first serve basis to eligible members and homeowners.
7. Court 1 is the Winter Member Block Court.
8. Courts 2 & 6 are the Sea Colony Homeowner Block Courts.
9. Courts 4 & 5 are open for Sea Colony Homeowner and renter reservations.
10. Court 3 is the pro’s teaching court.
11. Winter Members may play indoors Monday-Thursday (8:00 am – 10:00 pm) Friday (8:00 am – 2:00 pm).
12. Winter Members may play on outside courts if open during the Winter schedule.
13. Winter members may play with Sea Colony Homeowners, Sea Colony Renters, other winter members, or registered guests.
14. Any discrepancies will be resolved by the Director of Tennis.
15. Members must check in at the front desk for each play and pay the per play fee of $10.
16. Winter members can also play anytime outside of their block, including holiday periods and weekends, on a walk-on basis (and pay the $10 play fee), but must relinquish the court if requested by the Director or his designee.
Summer Membership Rules
1. There are no summer block times.
2. Summer members MUST have a Sea Colony homeowner on the court if playing before 1 pm, and either the homeowner must have made a reservation, or homeowner is using the 10 minute after the hour walk on rule.
3. Summer members may only make an outdoor court reservation for 1 pm or later, excluding courts 19 and 20. Reservations may be made no sooner than 24 hours in advance of the requested time.
4. Summer Members may play indoors if available and reserved by a homeowner and the homeowner is on the court. Or after 1 pm on a space available walk on basis and does not interfere with any indoor programming or homeowner play.
5. Members must check in at the front desk for each play and pay the per play fee of $10.
Additional Winter and Summer Tennis Rules
1. No Running shoes.
2. This is already stated above. Certain dates are blocked and the right to block off courts for other tennis events is permitted by Tennis Committee or Director of Tennis.
3. All non-Sea Colony owners, who are local domiciled residents (which means: lives year round or seasonally, or rents seasonally, or owns a residence in Sussex County, Worcester County or Wicomico County) who play at any time in any season are subject to a $15 guest fee, and a limit of 4 visits in a season, after which they must become a member (with guest fees credited to membership fee) for the season or may not play in Sea Colony. Homeowner guest badges are not valid on block time courts. Homeowners and their guests who are not tri county local residents as defined above (with homeowner guest badges) may play at no charge on normal reserved indoor or outdoor homeowner courts using that process.
4. Rules may be amended or changed at any time.
USTA and Interclub Matches
There is no charge for USTA or Interclub matches played after 3 p.m. outdoors. In all other cases (indoors anytime, or outside before 3 p.m.), non-homeowners who play USTA or interclub matches pay $10 per person
A Pickleball Membership will be available October 1, 2017-December 31, 2017 for $50. In addition to the membership fee, each member shall pay $5 per play. A Pickleball Membership is included in the 2017-2018 Winter Tennis Membership. A $5 per play fee also applies. All members must check in the pro-shop and pay their per play fee prior to going out to the court. There will be no Pickleball block times.
1. Any locally domiciled guest person who does not pay the guest fee, or does not pay the seasonal membership fee will be asked to leave the courts.
2. Any seasonal member who does not pay the per play fee, may have their membership revoked without refund.
3. Any seasonal member who violates any other tennis rule is subject to membership revocation, at the discretion of the Director of Tennis.
4. Any homeowner who assists a guest or seasonal member to violate these tennis rules, including guest fees, seasonal membership and per play fees, shall be subject to the SCRA Rules Violations and Penalties process.